Sunday, September 7, 2008

Career advancement

It's been a year working at Patimas. After a lot of thoughts and consideration, I've decided it is time to leave.

My colleagues asked me why. Well, there's a lot of reasons why. But my primary concern is not about the money.The pay is considered low if compared to what other people with my title but I guess it's quite okay for my lifestyle. The thing is, I don't really get what I wanted here. I seek experience and knowledge and Patimas did not really satisfy me. Yeah I know that I've been doing high tech stuffs and all but the thing is the knowledge I gained is just a small percentage of the effort I gave not to mention that most of the time I was clueless and lost and don't really have anyone to ask for opinion and ideas thanks to the staff shortage (cost cutting policies?).

My close colleagues, although they're friendly and fun, are not really initiated on improving themselves. They're actually quite good, but the thing is they lack the initiative on improving their knowledge and most of the time give reasons on this and that when asked to learn new stuffs. This is the thing that frustrates me the most. But still, they're good and friendly people.

All of these are stagnating me. I need a fresh environment where I can meet other tech enthusiasts and share knowledge on those cool bleeding edge stuffs. The only thing that really kept me going on is my own drive and the occasional motivational words from my boss. (sorry to disappoint you boss, but I really can't stand this anymore)

Thankfully, God lighted my way and I've already signed up with an IT company from Singapore and guess what? I was offered the position of Senior Technical Consultant. I guess my attempts to avoid self-obsolete really pays off. Talking about pay, The offer I got was quite luxurious too. Hopefully, the experience will be luxurious as the pay itself and the best thing is, the company's Director (she's the one who interviewed me) was so enthusiastic in taking me in that she offered me on the spot during the interview and the more surprising thing is that she did not even try to bargain with me about my expected salary.

Well, I have no more work pending for Patimas so I have all the time I need to study the latest software frameworks and technologies to get myself a firm ground on the things required for my new job. (Spring and Hibernate, how I long to get myself in a project based on these 2 technologies. and not to forget the fresh new framework Struts 2.0. Uber coolness!)

Oh I just can't wait for 3rd October.

=)

No comments: