Thursday, July 22, 2010

My take on HPME and SLIM

so today, I finished one of six course of HP's so called software development methodology which is SLIM. The whole training course reeks of waterfall methodology. Always talking about processes and tools and how those tools helped them to save time and budget. In my opinion and observation, those metrics that they used are so shallow and there are a lot of possibilities on how they could arrive to the conclusion.

Which makes me wonder did they never read those books written by those famous and successful software developers? for example, The Mythical Man Month which explains extensively on why we should not add more people to an already late project.

They mentioned I the training course that when they implemented SLIM, the numbers of defects went significantly down. But as I observed from the slides, that was in the last phase which could easily mean that logically most of the other requirements have already been met successfully so why would they need to change the source code further? And regarding the so called work life balance can be easily achieved if the whole organization implements agile and lean methodology at the first place. Agile and lean protects the developers from unnecessary problems and allows them to focus more on developing the product.

On a side story, a senior colleague warned me that I'm under serious scrutiny as the manager often saw that I'm on facebook 'all' the time. Did they never heard of focus and time management techniques such as the pomodoro technique? I guess that comes naturally when you stay too long in a traditional waterfall management.

Conclusion: waterfall is evil and should be ceased from practice. Adopt the Agile Methodology today!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.4.8

No comments: