Thursday, December 4, 2008

Resigning..again!

As per title, I resigned again. Why shouldn't I? I got a far more better offer than what I'm having here in the current company. But wait, before you start to think that I'm only attracted to the salary package, no, that's not the reason why.

Frankly, here's why:

1. I'm sick of being overloaded with work.
2. I'm sick of being coerced in to do overtimes.
3. I'm sick of being overloaded with more work in spite of the overtime.
4. I'm sick of being assigned assignments with ridiculous deadlines.
5. I'm sick of being forced to work when I'm already at my limits for the day.
6. I' sick of being unable to enjoy myself while I'm doing my job.
7. I'm sick of the feeling of starting to hate my job because of all the above.

for 1 to 4, the reasons are pretty much straight forward.

The reason for #5 is, for me, developing a software is a work of art. Actually, there are many ways to design a code for something and seriously for me, the design should be elegant, not just at the architecture, but by the structures of the code itself. That way, it'll be easier and less work to refactor (if there is any reasons at all to refactor it). To be creative, you can't push yourself too much, creativity can't be forced.

#6, I love designing and developing software. But pushing it when I'm at my limits is seriously causing it to be not fun anymore.

#7, For me, this is not just a job. It is my chosen career path and this is the best thing that I can do (other than playing computer games, how I wish Malaysia have lots of game developing companies so that I can sign up as a playtester LOL).

I'll be joining a new company really soon. I was again, offered immediately on the spot. The interview took place in a hotel next to KLCC. No, I'm not applying to be a hotel employee. It was a walk-in interview so there was a lot of people trying their luck (including me) and I'm one of those lucky people who got offered.

It was an interesting experience, really. I thought I was late as the schedule should be at 10am but thanks to KL's traffic, leaving as early as 9 didn't help much either. Arrived there, climbed the escalator to the 2nd level and getting confused finding the venue of the room as at that time nearly all the suites there are having some kind of function. Managed to find the room after a quick sweep on the level and I was greeted by a lady who asked me if I am to attend the interview and I just said yes. She asked me to fill in my contact in some kind of guest book and after that, she handed me a set of questions, much of it are fairly easy (for me) and I was given 20minutes to answer those questions which I did in about 15 minutes.

Later, she asked me to fill in my current occupation details and after waiting quite a while, an Englishman came looking for me (heard he mentioned my name,the lady there pointed to me and he seems quite surprised and said with a deep British accent "that fine gentleman over there?" ). He introduced himself as the Operations Director for the company and told me that the guy who will interview me later reports to him and that if I really can impress that guy, I'll definitely get the job. He also told me that the reason that he came looking for me was because of the results of the test I took before was way above the average marks and I finished it in a short time. LOL. He was really impressed and the only obstacle left is for me to impress the interviewer, who actually is the Director of the Software R&D department. Kind of a bit weird as I've already impressed the interviewer's boss LOL.

I later then learned that the company is considered a huge company with worldwide operations. Those who're in the banking business (especially credit division) would've heard of this company. And, I've also learned that the office that I'll be working in is really extraordinary and I really mean that (that guy showed me the actual pictures of the office interior).

About the interview, yeah this one is quite tough. The guy who interviewed me really dived in depth on the technical side of the job. I can say I was lucky to impress that guy (lucky that I've also read a lot on software architectures too). For the salary, I didn't asked much. Only an increment of RM200 to compensate my fuel consumption to commute to the office. But the guy who was looking for me earlier, he didn't agree. At first I thought that this is bad news. But instead, it was great news. He gave me a whopping increment and on top of that, I'll be getting travel allowances. The total is far more than what I've imagine I could ever get. I was speechless. I went back home, a super excited extremely happy guy.

And oh,working hours is 9.00am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday. Health and dental coverage for me and my family (yeah, you read that right. family included!). 15 days annual leave, 18 days sick leave and 5 days study leave. Monthly recreational activities and lots more. What else could I ask for?

So that's all about my latest adventures, greatest thanks to almighty God, for all His blessings onto me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear friend, congrats for the new offer.

For me, people will say something BAD about their previous company and of course something GOOD for their new company. This is the reality. IM believed you did said same thing when you leaving Patimas last time.So, its good actually to not say anything bad because it will reflect your attitude.If people (from management line) read this blog, definitely they will think " oh, this person cannot work under pressure, not flexible, and cannot focus on one job for certain period".

There is no easy job in this world. People keep complaining about their job BUT they do not find a way to improve themself and do something that can drive them to work more harder.

From HR perspective, if you want to jump to other company. AT least you should ask 30-40% increment of current salary not 200 bucks. Yes, you might NOT type of a person who looking extra digit in account bank by end of the month, but you should put some price to yourself and this will show to new hiring manager that you are worth to hired.

15 days annual leave, 18 days sick leave and 5 days study leave. (this is normal for almost company - I can assured you that).DONTs talk about MCs given because it look like that you plan to finish each day granted. 15 days annual leave - this is definitely normal - hsbc bank provide 28-30 annual leave to their workers (better right ?) Health and dental coverage for me and my family (yeah, you read that right. family included!) - - this is provided by almost company also - do you do some research before writing this blog ?

Once agaIN, good luck in your future job. sometimes we cant too choosy because other people work more than us BUT get paid less than us.

alwajdi said...

Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs/whatever Not,

Thanks for reading. =)
From your comment, it is obvious that you just stumbled upon my blog.
if not, then you would have realized that I didn't left Patimas because of the same reasons. I actually recommended fresh grads to go there if they're looking for their first job.

I left Patimas because there is nothing much to learn there anymore and it gets boring each and everyday. I can just stay there but I'm looking for knowledge and experience + 1 major personal problem which I can't get it off my mind at that time and also my father is not so well (he's having spine problem and is due for surgery next month). I have no problems with them except some very minor issues which of course I don't really mind and hey, I'm still good with my ex-colleagues and bosses from there and there is no issues with the management. Even the HR Manager and my boss that time tried hard to talk me out of quitting the company.

But the current company I'm serving, seriously I can't stand it. What I stated up there IS serious and it is seriously making me hate my job.

I can work under pressure but not EXREME pressure where the deadline is too tight. Who the heck would include weekends and public holidays as working man days in a project?When would I have the time for myself,my family and friends?as if working everyday from early morning to midnight is not enough.If that is not hard working enough than I think I should convert myself to a robot but I'm sure they still wont be satisfied. It seems like all they care is the profit they get from the clients without even thinking much of their employees' capacity.

regarding the salary, money is not the main thing I seek from a job. As I said, I chose this path not merely as a job, but a career. and FYI, I just joined my current company just 2 months ago. It just doesn't feel right to ask for another large increments to jump to another when I already had one when I joined the current company for a period of less than 6 months. And how should I justify myself if they question on why I'm asking for that amount of increment?I don't want to them to get the wrong signal there. LOL.

on the benefits package, yeah the leaves are normal. but for the health and dental coverage, most companies only cover the employee, NOT their family members except if you are on the managerial level. and of course I know about HSBC. Look at their working hours! I won't even consider to join them unless they're following the normal local working hours. for me, it is fair for them to get 28-30 days of annual leave. So please, I'm not that short of resources to research. Don't put that label on me just yet dude! on the current company's benefits, seriously I'm telling you Patimas is way better. You might question why I joined eventhough I knew that the benefits aren't that good. Well, again, back to my career interest, I'm learning something new here. But the reason I'm leaving is I can't stand the workload. If they would have been more considerate on the workload, certainly I would have never thought of leaving (at least for a period of 1 year LOL).

anyway, again, thanks for reading and the wishes. =)